Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is a 2023 American science fiction action film directed by Steven Caple Jr. from a screenplay by Joby Harold, Darnell Metayer, Josh Peters, Erich Hoeber, and Jon Hoeber. It is the seventh installment in the Transformers film series, serving as both a standalone sequel to Bumblebee (2018) and prequel to the 2007 film. The film stars Anthony Ramos, Dominique Fishback, Luna Lauren Velez, Josh Duhamel, Dylan O’Brien, and Peter Cullen. In the film, the Autobots and Decepticons return to Earth, where they join forces with the Maximals and Predacons in a battle for supremacy.
The film was released in the United States on June 9, 2023, by Paramount Pictures. It received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for its action sequences and visual effects, but criticism for its writing and pacing.
Here is a more detailed review of the film:
- The action sequences are well-choreographed and exciting. The film features a number of large-scale action sequences, including a battle between the Autobots and Decepticons in New York City. The sequences are well-choreographed and exciting, and they make good use of the film’s special effects.
- The visual effects are impressive. The film’s visual effects are impressive, and they help to bring the Transformers to life. The robots are rendered in great detail, and they move and interact with the environment in a realistic way.
- The writing is weak. The film’s writing is weak, and it suffers from a number of clichés and plot holes. The characters are underdeveloped, and the dialogue is often cheesy.
- The pacing is uneven. The film’s pacing is uneven, and it can be slow at times. The film is over two hours long, and it feels like it could have been trimmed down by a half hour.
Overall, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is a mixed bag. It has some good elements, such as the action sequences and visual effects, but it is also held back by its weak writing and pacing. Fans of the Transformers franchise may enjoy the film, but others may be disappointed.
Here are some additional thoughts on the film:
- The film’s setting in the 1990s is a nice change of pace from the previous Transformers films. The film’s soundtrack also features a number of 1990s hits, which helps to set the tone of the film.
- The film introduces a number of new characters, including the Maximals and Predacons. The Maximals are a group of Autobots who can transform into animals, while the Predacons are a group of Decepticons who can transform into dinosaurs. The film does a good job of introducing these new characters, and they add a new dimension to the Transformers universe.
- The film’s final battle is a visually stunning spectacle. The battle takes place in New York City, and it features a number of large-scale action sequences. The battle is exciting and well-choreographed, and it is a fitting end to the film.
Overall, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is a fun and action-packed film that is sure to please fans of the franchise. The film has some flaws, but it is ultimately an enjoyable experience.